The North Western Karnataka Road Transport Corporation was established in the year 01-11-1997, under provision of the Road Transport Corporation Act 1950, on the auspicious day of Karnataka Rajyotsava upon bifurcation from Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation to provide adequate, efficient, economic and properly coordinated transport services to the commuters of North Western part of the Karnataka. The Corporation jurisdiction covers the Belagavi, Dharwad, North Canara, Bagalkot, Gadag & Haveri districts.
NWKRTC operates its services to all villages, which have motorable roads in its jurisdiction and also covering intra and inter state operations. The entire jurisdiction of the corporation is totally nationalised sector.
The corporate office of NWKRTC is situated at Hubballi, under which eight division headquarters situated at Belagavi, Hubballi, Sirsi, Bagalkot, Gadag, Chikkodi , Haveri and Dharwad and 48 Depots are functioning under the administrative control of respective divisions and one Regional workshop at Hubli having one bus body building unit, one Regional Training Institute at Hubballi.